Thursday, December 08, 2005

snow

For some reason the first really big snow of the season makes me feel like a little kid again. I've always had this wierd fascination and, or love affair with winter and snow. It's hard to explain. I mean I get stuck in routines and live my life everyday, then one day I'll step out of my front door and everything will be the most gorgeous shade of glowing white and it will be so bright even without the sun that I have to close my eyes because the brightness is so intense. It reminds me that purity still does exist, it reminds me to stop and realize that everything is real. The truck lumbering by pushing snow out of its path with the plow hanging from its bumper. It reminds me to listen to every little thing I overlook each day. The sound of the wind as it zings past my ears and stings my cheeks, the squirrels scurrying to find a hidingplace with the last few nuts from the fall onslaught stuffed in their cheeks. It reminds me to enjoy just being still, reflective, and thankful for life. I love standing outside as the snow is just blanketing the ground and taking that first deep, cleansing breath of the day and drinking in all that's around me. The air rushes in and over takes me as I inhale so deeply it burns my lungs as it's going in. It's times like that that make me feel truly alive. God is truly visible and has a place and purpose for everything. There's time to grow and flourish, a time to rest and replenish, and a time to enjoy. Let the snow fall and let it renew my heart so that I may see where the Lord has been the past year and be hopeful of where he is going.

Chris

P.S. word of the day:
Harangues-(h-rng)
n. A long pompous speech, especially one delivered before a gathering.
A speech or piece of writing characterized by strong feeling or expression; a tirade.


I found this word while reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac it kinda fits after a post don't you think.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonesy said...

Were you able to get into your car yet, after that beautiful snow?

Always winter never Christmas!

9:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home