Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Christmas Philosophy

So, I know it's the 28th and Christmas was 3 days ago, but I've got a few thoughts rolling around in my head. Is it just me or does Christmas get less and less eventful each year. I remember when I was young I couldn't wait for the day to get here so I could open all my presents. As I got older it became less about presents and more about the possibility of changing the world. There was something about the holiday that made me believe that all things were possible on that day. As I've grown to learn, all things are possible in Christ, all things not just some things. So the youthful, niave idea of limiting him to one day has disappeared, but in my current state of mind I feel so lost in the money making juggernaut that is Christmas that it all seems hopeless anyway. Why hope for something bigger and deeper when the world has set guidelines and a status quo that goes against the true meaning of the holiday. Why do our friends and families need to know that we love them enough to give them gifts on only one day a year? Does the love that I've come to share with my friends and family need to be limited to a gift? Shouldn't we love those people each day instead of just one day a year? This whole idea of Christmas has become misdirected from the will of God. Every year people go into debt buying Christmas gifts. How would Jesus condone a time of the year when his children would suffer just to buy gifts for other people. In ancient Jewish tradition there were no words for the ideas of spiritual and secular lives. God never intended for there to be a separation from him and his people, so why would he expect that separation now. That separation is no more apparent than at Christmas time. Call me crazy but a holiday including the name CHRIST should not be about stimulating all of the things that Jesus was against while he was on earth. He wasn't a commercial person, but society has turned his "birthday" into a very commercialized holiday. Christmas is not a holiday to be celebrated once a year, but it's a way of life that Jesus challenged us to remember and perpetuate every day of lives the very day he was born on this earth. The gift to celebrate is the very life that we live and the people God has given us to share it with. Everyday is Christmas and just as the word includes it, everyday of our lives should include Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home