Friday, January 20, 2006

protocol

Protocol, eight letters, but when put together in the correct order they become quite powerful. Some would argue that much of an adult's life is ruled by protocol. Webster's says that protocol is a correct code of conduct. You know what, I have a problem with that definition. One could also argue that there is no specific protocol in society. That protocol is determined by the surroundings and situation of an individual. Society on the whole, however determines how valuable people are by how well the follow this often times vague idea of protocol. Say there's an individual that lives his life in the correct way for the most part, but every now and then his actions may go against a specific protocol in one way or another. He's never accused of a crime or constitutes a mass upheaval in a system, but the way he approaches something totally deletes his credibility simply because it was against protocol in the context of a situation. Does this mean that this person is a bad person, completely void of anything beneficial? I think our society often sends that message, and so we are left with a huge demographic of people out there who are disconnected and lost because they chose to look at something in a different light or do something in a different way. Is that right? I mean would God want us to live lives ruled by a specific plan of how things are done? I know plenty of people that in the context of their personal denomination in the Christian church approach God in a different way, and I'm pretty sure that they still experience and know Christ. Who's to say that they don't?
1 John 2: 15 says Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, is not from the Father, but is from the world. The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.
So therefore, I'm called not to love the world or the things in it, such as the protocol that we live under everyday. Whether it be that of my job or a code of conduct set up by the pastors at my church. I'm not saying that protocol is all bad and I believe there is a place for well thought out rules, but then again nothing can be all good either. I believe at times protocol can imprison people and hold them to an unhealthy standard. The reason why is because it is something that was man made. No man is perfect, and I know that I've dealt with people in the wrong way before so how can a specific protocol be right all the time. Our history is littered with people who have paid with blood for challenging protocol that was in place. I serve a God who sent his son to this world to do just that, so just as I am critical of putting certain things in my body or abstaining from certain types of activities because of his example in life shouldn't I be critical of how closely I follow man made rules that tell me how I'm supposed to approach every situation regardless of the details? Just like anything in this world that protocol can be fallible. In closing I wish that all of us would learn to analyze eveything and keep what is good, and by analyze I mean to truly wrestle and at times struggle with these basic ideas that we live under in our culture. I hope that we all can shed light on matters like these for one another as a community of Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home