Wednesday, February 22, 2006

They are but children

Remember Middle School? I know, I know most of you have forgotten those memories for good reason, but lately I've been reminded of those hallowed days wrought with tension, angst, and awkwardity. Currently I work at a middle school and I've noticed that the best teachers are those that can remain calm within the worst of circumstances. I think to myself, how can they do that? Then one day I realized why. They understand that the beings whose welfare they concern themselves with are children, they aren't less than anyone else, but they have yet to completely develop. You know I find myself saying this a lot and many times it's a reality check for me, but recently it's opened a window to the past for me.
I had a bully in middle school, whose sole purpose for living was to make my life a living hell. Everyday I dreaded the beep of the alarm, the crack of daylight through the window, the bus ride to school, and especially the smell of stagnet air in my first period class because of him. His name was Rocky. You know the painful words and actions used effortlessly by Rocky followed me through highschool, college, and still at times haunt me today. It's funny how the actions of a few can trigger something in one's mind that equates those actions with ones worth on the grand scale. One day while at work I realized that Rocky was the same age as the children whose words I say have no bearing on who I am. Then I realized that my job was teaching me how to relieve my insecurities about my past. Isn't that amazing.
I find that the harder I search for God in all facets of my life the more he heals and repairs my heart with these experiences. This is what I love most about my life. The way I am able to find the greatest depth of thought in the most mundane of places. For instance, whites and colors get along just fine in the washer if you set it on cold. Add a degree of heat or friction and things are destroyed. Although not all friction is bad, friction concieved in hate breeds discension. At such a young age could Rocky have perceived his behavior as hate. I tend to think not, but now I'm able to see that when I couldn't see it then. Not only has age allowed me to realize that children may sometimes just be inaccurate, but it's allowed me to see past situations from a completely different perspective. May God grant you with enlightenment and a renewed perspective and may it open your eyes to God in all corners of life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris Dennis...you're amazing. There it is. Amazing. You definitely have wonderful insight, and it's so encouraging to hear how God's speaking to you.

My prayer is that Rocky's actions would never again make you question your worth because you are so valuable to our Dad. I know that probably isn't a new thought to you, but I hope you can really feel the truth of it rather than thinking it. May you know where your truth really lies.

Thanks for the insight...and that title is definitely more than one word 8-)

9:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There. I visited. I worked hard to remember this page, and now I have used that very difficult-to-remember knowledge and visited your blog. Now I'm going to be addicted. Thanks. But really, thanks for hanging with me today. True friend you are sir.

3:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home